Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Mom, A Student, A Career Woman

If you know me, you know that I face a constant struggle with the pull I feel as I fill the shoes of three different people while only having one body. Sound strange? I find myself switching between three different frames of mind all throughout my days. As I went for my morning run, I was aware of the fact that I thought about my mom duties, my homework, as well as my work at the hospital.

With my school work I face the most horrible fear... getting a... B!!!! I am actually laughing at myself as I type this because I know that this way of thinking is silly to most "normal" people. I am not sure when I developed this behavior either. I used to be very content walking away with a B in undergrad. Maybe I am just more mature??? Ha! I am also faced with accounting this semester, and I am the type of person that if I see a word problem with numbers I freak out. I am taking this semester as yet another learning experience and definite challenge. Maybe I can become "normal" again by the end of the semester!

My work at the hospital is extremely important to me. If you knew me in college, you know that I had very hard time picking a major. (In fact, I had at least four or five! Remember when I had to take an art class???) Well, my broad outtake on my career has payed off. I truly enjoy human resources. For me and my Gen Y tendencies, if I can still say that I enjoy something after doing it for three and a half years, that is saying something. I had the opportunity to attend a user conference in Atlanta, GA on Monday and Tuesday for Halogen software. (This is a software we use at work. I'll spare you the details.) I was really thankful for this conference, because I needed the reminder of why I went into human resources in the first place. Fresh out of college I remember wanting to read books like "HR from the Heart," and it is easy to lose that fire after a while. Being reminded of true talent management this week gave me perspective once again on one of the reasons why I chose the HR field. I love to be developed, and I want to develop others!

Though I feel pulled in three different directions, my most important job at the end of the day is being a mom. Watching Bailey grow and begin to communicate with me has been amazing. I often wonder how in the world she knew what to do by the words that I used. She is very smart!!! :) (I know a lot of mothers say that about their children, but she really is!) We went to an orchard today, and I decided to let her walk on her own. She actually followed me and listened to my directions. This was a very proud moment for me as a mom. I know that the next time we go out she may wander from me and throw a fit, but days like this give me hope that I am doing something right. Scott and Bailey had a great time together while I was in Atlanta. I am thankful for a husband that can take on the "mom" role when I am not able to.

I know that my mom role is where my true priority lies in this season of my life. Though I love learning and being a student this season will come to an end in May. The season at work is just that too, a season. I am blessed to have the ability to work part-time in a job that is my career. Even though I sometimes get the urge to take on the world of human resources and dive in head first, I know that in this season I am where I should be. For me, true success at the end of the day is putting my selfish ambitions aside and developing Bailey into the person that God wants her to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment